Art and science have traditionally been seen (at least by some) to be at opposite ends of the learning spectrum. Arts and humanities are training grounds for 21st century skills like creativity, global awareness, and literacy, while science and technology thrive on innovation, experimentation, and technical know-how. However, these days, it seems the two are being pulled closer together, and the most successful thinkers are those who are capable of standing with one foot in each world. In education, the STEM movement (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) has been evolving into STEAM (A for art, obviously), acknowledging the creative aspect of developing and testing new theories.
We’re always delighted to come across new and interesting resources. The following 10 books (presented in no particular order) by no means represent an exhaustive list, but they have have piqued our interest by combining the best of both worlds. As these works demonstrate, science and the arts have much to gain from joining forces. There’s no better way to start a new year than with fresh new perspectives. Happy reading, and happy 2013 everyone!
1. The Art of Steampunk: Extraordinary Devices and Ingenious Contraptions from the Leading Artists of the Steampunk Movement by Art Donovan
2. Art and Science by Eliane Strosberg
3. The Three Cultures: Natural Sciences, Social Sciences and the Humanities in the 21st Century by Jerome Kagan
4. Science Arts by MaryAnn F. Kohl (for children)
5. Switching Codes: Thinking Through Digital Technology in the Humanities and the Arts by Thomas Bartscherer
6. Art as Science by Christine Fleming (for young readers)
7.The Hedgehog, the Fox and the Magister’s Pox: Mending the Gap Between Science and the Humanities by Stephen Jay Gould
8. Madam Bovary’s Ovaries: A Darwinian Look at Literature by David P. Barash
9. Art and Science by Sian Ede
10. Art + Science Now by Stephen Wilson
Amy Leask is a children’s author, and VP of Enable Education. She’ll use any excuse to go hunting for new books.
Arts and Science 4 Arts Education 1 Science Education 1 STEAM 5 STEM 6